'Shocking' your well is a standard practice to remove any unwanted bacteria or contaminants. We recommend reaching out to your local water filtration department for instructions on this procedure.
To prepare your softener for a well shock:
1. Bypass your softener. This will protect the resin media and prevent debris and contaminants from entering the unit.
2. Once the bleach has sat in your well for the prescribed period, run cold water (ideally an outdoor hose or spigot) until the bleach odor is gone, and the water tests safe.
3. After the water is confirmed safe, pull the bypass handle back out on the softener to return to normal service flow.